Stopping Griefers

• Griefing is the act of irritating and angering people in video games through the use of destruction, construction, or social engineering… – Minecraft Wiki

Situation

As a server owner you probably know the situation when you log in to your server and some buildings are broken (griefed) and players who built them are sad or angry. If this happens to the same player multiple times he will either stop playing on your server or start griefing buildings of other players as a revenge.

Goal

You want players to build cool things on your servers and you want to make sure their creations won’t get griefed. If you can effectively prevent griefing, you will build an environment for builders to invest energy in building without fear that their effort will be wasted.

Step 1: Make them unable to grief

The most effective solution is a simple as this: A player who can’t place or break blocks, won’t be able to grief anything. The difficult part of it is how to distinguish between good and bad players and how to make bad players unable to place or break blocks. Here I will explain the most common and available tools you can use for this on LEET PE servers at the time of writing this tutorial.

User Login

Located in the Optional features section of the LEET Servers app, this feature provides an important ability to prevent griefers from pretenting they are someone you know and trust. As explained in my Securing your server to last tutorial, this is a mandatory feature if you’re serious about protecting your server.

Custom ranks

This optional feature costs extra credits every day, but it is essential to distinguishing between trusted and non-trusted players. When you turn it on, every new player connecting to your server will be assigned the Guest rank (also known as group). Once you have a reason to trust that player Fred you can give him the rank Member using /setgroup Fred Member

Console and Permissions

If you enable Console (aka RCON) you can set what permissions each rank (group) or user has. This does not currently let you completely disallow placing or breaking blocks, but you can, for instance, who can change their gamemode, who can op and de-op players, who can use WorldEdit, etc. Most importantly, you can give your staff members enough permissions to perform their jobs without giving them op. See Securing your server to last for more detailed explanation.

Spawn protection

This feature completely disallows any non-op player to break or place blocks in the area surrounding your server’s spawn. You can choose between 3 sizes of the protected area: 8, 32, or 128 blocks. This lets you protect the most important part of your server - the spawn.

Adventure Mode

Normally, the adventure gamemode will not let you place or break blocks. Unfortunately, for some time now, this gamemode is broken. But if it gets fixed eventually, you can utilize it in 2 ways. You can set it as default gamemode, and you can set specific player’s gamemode to adventure when you catch him griefing.

Land Protection

As a premium feature based on the iProtector plugin, this has been available for a long time to let you define protected areas. To define a protected area:

1. Type /area pos1
    2. Try to break or place a block in one corner of the cuboid you want to protect
    3. Type /area pos2
    4. Try to break or place a block in the opposite corner of the cuboid you want to protect
    5. Type /area create mysafearea to define a protected area named mysafearea

By default all other non-op players will not be able to place or break blocks in the protected area. You can also disallow touching things like chests by typing /area flag mysafearea touch

Until recently, you could only allow ops to build and break inside protected areas. So you either had to build everything yourself, or unprotect it completly, which would allow griefing.

But now a new version of iProtector marked as 3.1am should be available on all LEET servers that adds one extra feature. It allows whitelisting specific players for each defined protected area. So for instance you can allow player madhon to build in your protected area by typing /area whitelist mysafearea add madhon.

It is important to mention that iProtector is not designed to take care of too many protected areas. Doing so could significantly slow down everything you do on your server. So it is not a good idea to protect every single building with a separate area. But you can define larger areas, such as cities, and only allow each city’s citizens to build and break within their city. This does not prevent players from griefing their neighbours’ houses, but limits the number of potential griefers to just a small group of known players, which works very well with the step 2 explained below.

Step 2: Make them not wanting to grief

Once you have done your best to prevent bad players from griefing good player’s creations using the above mentioned tools and methods, it’s time to make everyone want to be a good player. Based on my experience, this can be achieved relatively effectively by following just three simple rules:

Be good

Some players grief only because they are bored or because they envy others their building abilities. But most griefings are actually just an instrument of revenge for players who feel they have been injuried. Be good to them and they won’t want to grief your server. You can also easily require them to be good if you are making yourself a good example to follow.

Be equitable

To avoid injury, make sure you never judge players only based on what other players tell you. If you have no reliable proof, you can never know who lies and who tells the truth. Always ask for proofs and make sure to never penalize anyone without being certain he has broken rules. Mediate conflicts, leading the conflicting players to conciliation, rather than suing one or the other.

Be rigorous

Set strict rules, explicitly mentioning what you consider as good behavior and what is bad behavior on your server, and require the rules to be followed by everyone, including yourself. When someone breaks the rules make sure to withdraw his privileges to prevent his revenge for being penalized, otherwise the anti-griefing tools won’t work.

As long as good players have more ways to enjoy playing on your server than the bad ones, everyone will have a good reason to be good.

If you like trains or mazes, make sure to check out TrainMazeLand!
    If my post has helped you, feel free to donate some credits to trainmazeland.leet.cc ;-)

• Management

Thanks for taking your time to write this! 😃
    Time to read through it. 👍🏼

ur favourite elf, alien, anime character, and hybrid

Support: https://leethelp.desk.com/
    LEET Human Resource Manager

• @madhon

Beautiful! This is definitely going to help a ton of people Madhon! :D

“Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.” Kofi Annan

(This is literally the only time I have ever quoted someone else…I’m usually good at making my own)

~Dan

And click down here for today's giggle!
    https://media.giphy.com/media/12Ogf9lja5BuKY/giphy.gif

How to help my server? Click below and vote for us!
    http://minecraftpocket-servers.com/server/36208/vote/

• Staff

‘This is a test’

Hey? You need some speedy support??
    Visit…
    https://leethelp.desk.com/

• Staff

`test’ not sure sorry

Hey? You need some speedy support??
    Visit…
    https://leethelp.desk.com/

• Very Helpful Thank You

"Humans make mistakes, it is what you do next that will effect the outcome." /Tim
    "He must become GREATER, I must become less." -John 3:30

Want to change your Profile Picture in the Leet Forums? Check out my 8 month old post! -> http://forum.leet.cc/topic/18224/updated-custom-profile-picture

• Banned

AmaZing! Do you think maybe I could PM you a second?

JUST DO IT! DONT LET YOUR DREAMS BE DREAMS! NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!! ~Shia
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot. He who laughs last thinks slowest!

• Banned

Awesome, should be pinned. :)

Best Regards,

AndrewHales

• This is awesome-thanks!

💙ObsidianTOG💙

• Thank you for sharing your moments with us! It helped a lot to servers that are recently been grief.

We Craft Memories

Join now! @
    IP: ElitePvP.zapto.org
    Port: 60919
    (This is a LEET Server)

FREE GFX —>> http://goo.gl/forms/OFFwyaZOZ65L0FI42

• Retired Staff

These deserve way more attention, I’ve moved all of your wonderful posts to where they’d receive more activity.

The best thing about this signature is that by the time you've realised it says nothing, It's too late to stop reading it. :D

/ The Head of the Administration team at LEET Inc.

• This might work! I currently have a player who is supposedly a “hacker” and getting suspicious op. I will try to solve this! Thank you this can really help me!:)

• Staff

Thanks so much!

Fuzion
    LEET Customer Service Representative

Here to help!
    Graphic Design Artist
    Get help: support.leet.cc
    #Spyros4Supervisor

• Staff

This must’ve take a long time as well!

Fuzion
    LEET Customer Service Representative

Here to help!
    Graphic Design Artist
    Get help: support.leet.cc
    #Spyros4Supervisor

• Management

Yes, @madhon is awesome!

ur favourite elf, alien, anime character, and hybrid

Support: https://leethelp.desk.com/
    LEET Human Resource Manager

• Is madhon an undercover leet staff or something as he seems to do lots of posts relevant to leet systems and stuff.

Hope I helped!
    Need help? Pm me!
    Founder of the 1000 club!
    Not very active anymore might come back one day but drop a follow view my profile and stay shnazzy!

• It seems like making myself a bit mysterious causes rumors to appear ;-)

If you like trains or mazes, make sure to check out TrainMazeLand!
    If my post has helped you, feel free to donate some credits to trainmazeland.leet.cc ;-)

• Banned

Awesome tutorial! :D

"We are friends, in a world we must defend" -Pokemon XY intro song quote
    Best regards,

Drey (aka your local fire drill wizard)

#FINNLIAMDJKAISHERIDAN4BAN