Tips/Suggestions Regarding the Infamous "502 Bad Gateway" Error

• Supervisor

Hey, I wanted to open discussion about an error that many of us have with our forums, and that is the 502 Bad Gateway error. This can be triggered in many different ways, and can be frustrating to forum admins. In this topic, I have a list of known issues along with some tips and suggestions on how to steer clear of this error and to lower your chances of running into it again.

This topic is open for discussion. This list will be monitored and will be updated often.

If you know any other ways to cause a 502, and it is not on this list, then I ask of you to please make your input on this topic so I or any other staff can add to this list.

If there is any incorrect information, please suggest a correction to that certain bit (be sure to quote it), and I or any other staff will update this topic with the correct info.

Credit will be given where it is due. Thank you.

NOTE: BE CAREFUL if you’re willing to give admin permissions to other users in your forum. They will have as much opportunity to screw up your forum as you do, so be sure to add people you trust, and also add them if they know what they are doing!

• Many 502s are caused by the admin pressing the “Restart” button (should temporarily close all connections to the forum and try to restart the forum) in the Admin CP, instead of the “Reload” button (quick refresh/update of forum).
      Restarting the forum usually causes a 502 error, because the forum cannot bind the port or because nginx (web server) can’t find a valid connection to the server, hence “Bad Gateway”. Getting a 502 this way usually means that the forum will need a reset (setting forum to default settings, deleting all user data including plugins, users, topics, categories, groups, etc.)

Do NOT Press the “Restart” button! Doing so will, in many cases, crash the forum. If you are able to restart it without encountering a 502, good for you.

• 502s may happen randomly, and may need a simple fix/repair.

These are mostly harmless and are just coughups in the backend of the system. Keep in mind you run on an outdated and unstable version.

• Some changes in the forum through the admin control panel may trigger a 502. It could be because the admin isn’t careful enough about what he/she is doing, or because the admin is experimenting with the settings.

Even then, you’ll need to be careful with what you are doing in the admin CP. One screw-up could mean detriment to your forum.

"If you’re not sure of something in your forums then don’t add it or edit it."
    @SirSlayer0102

• They can also be caused by certain plugins, which maybe incompatible with the the version that your forums run on (NodeBB v0.8.2). Your forums are on a NodeBB build from 2014, which is extremely outdated. Some plugins are newer than 2014 and maybe intended to be run on newer versions of NodeBB, which when installed and run, has a possibility to cause a 502.

Be wary of some plugins available for use. If you are hesitant or unsure about installing a plugin, do not mess with it to reduce the chance of crashing your forum unless you want to try it anyways. I ain’t holding you back. :P

Also, be sure to disable a plugin before uninstalling it to reduce your chances of crashing your forum.

• Some specific actions to the forum may cause a 502, such as this example with themes. Performing this (installing a theme, then uninstalling it without disabling it [credit to @Aghora1]) may cause a 502.

Be sure to disable a theme/plugin before uninstalling it to reduce chances of crashing your forum.

• There’s apparently a chance for a 502 to appear being a reason of inactivity. Not sure if this actually happens though. ~ @CodyP2000

Be sure to log on it often to keep it up, I guess. ;)

• Some forums may get a 502 if the LEET Forum itself crashes, or rolls back. Some may even be deleted completely.

If this is the case, contact an admin immediately, or send a support ticket to support@leet.cc

Credits to these contributors:
    @Cder
    @Aghora1
    @SirSlayer0102
    …and anyone else not listed. This will be updated.

LEET Head Supervisor [11/26/2016]

Serving LEET Since January 30, 2016

Need support?
    LEET Help Desk
    Kik: CodyP2000
    Email: CodyP4500@gmail.com

• Banned

This should be pinned!

:smile:

Kind regards

Feel free of PM me if you have a issue or you want to talk.

• I believe if there are multiple people in the Admin Panel, it can also cause a 502. If you remember something happened with me and @Z3ro.

• Banned

Thank you for the feedback!. We will run some tests and see the results.

Kind regards

Feel free of PM me if you have a issue or you want to talk.

• Supervisor

@Cder said in Tips/Suggestions Regarding the Infamous "502 Bad Gateway" Error:

I believe if there are multiple people in the Admin Panel, it can also cause a 502. If you remember something happened with me and @Z3ro.

Yeah, I posted something similar in Z3ro’s forum. That’s kinda what inspired me to make this topic. His forum has gotten 502 several times which concerned me.

Need support?
    LEET Help Desk

• @CodyP2000 I can look for some if you want me to.

• Supervisor

@CodyP2000 I can look for some if you want me to.

Go ahead. If you find anything new please let me know

Need support?
    LEET Help Desk

• @CodyP2000 said in Tips/Suggestions Regarding the Infamous "502 Bad Gateway" Error:

Hmm, What forum do I need to do this with? I don’t have one…

• Supervisor

@CodyP2000 said in Tips/Suggestions Regarding the Infamous "502 Bad Gateway" Error:

Hmm, What forum do I need to do this with? I don’t have one…

I’d say to try to get a new one or maybe get a forum from someone that is willing to provide you

Need support?
    LEET Help Desk

• Alright, I can try! :smile:

• Developer

Pinned

LEET Management
    LEET Development Team
    ALT TEXT

• I found one! Testing soon!

• Wont the forums be updated?

ALTTEXT
    Please Donate and vote for amazing rewards!
    "Sydney is in america!" -paetti

Musty is da best ;D

“I think this I don’t care and that you should either stop or figure this out in private message. The whole forum isn’t interested in this” -SirMaxime 2k17

• This is happening to me rn

Play IP Eleet.leet.cc
    Port: 45248

• Supervisor

@ibrahimk157 said in Tips/Suggestions Regarding the Infamous "502 Bad Gateway" Error:

Wont the forums be updated?

I’ve been trying to get @beetree and @ProjectInfinity to update them but to no avail.

@KingKaden said:

This is happening to me rn

Please create a support ticket to info@leet.cc containing the following:

• Server IP
    • Support ID
    • Description of Issue

Need support?
    LEET Help Desk

• @CodyP2000 said in Tips/Suggestions Regarding the Infamous "502 Bad Gateway" Error:

@ibrahimk157 said in Tips/Suggestions Regarding the Infamous "502 Bad Gateway" Error:

Wont the forums be updated?

I’ve been trying to get @beetree and @ProjectInfinity to update them but to no avail.

@KingKaden said:

This is happening to me rn

Please create a support ticket to info@leet.cc containing the following:

• Server IP
    • Support ID
    • Description of Issue

@beetree said that he knows that forums need to be updated, but he didn’t mention anything about updating them :(

ALTTEXT
    Please Donate and vote for amazing rewards!
    "Sydney is in america!" -paetti

Musty is da best ;D

“I think this I don’t care and that you should either stop or figure this out in private message. The whole forum isn’t interested in this” -SirMaxime 2k17

• Best. Topic. Ever! Thanks again @CodyP2000 ;)

Will design graphics from October 10th onwards.

• Banned

Tip: 502 bad gateway’s are also caused by the inactivity of the forum. Make sure, to make it active, that is because I’ve experienced it.

I am SirSlayer.

• @SirSlayer0102 Lel saw that edit. "inactive"
    And thanks for letting me know :)

Will design graphics from October 10th onwards.

• Supervisor

@SirSlayer0102 said in Tips/Suggestions Regarding the Infamous "502 Bad Gateway" Error:

Tip: 502 bad gateway’s are also caused by the inactivity of the forum. Make sure, to make it active, that is because I’ve experienced it.

You can edit :)

Need support?
    LEET Help Desk

• Banned

I’m a little busy, so kindly do it. :)

I am SirSlayer.